Thursday, May 17, 2007

16 May 2007 - Rebirth

Delhi, India

After almost 24 hours of traveling I got into Delhi last night at 2:30am completely exhausted, yet undeniably anxious. The travel wasn’t bad at all. LAX was crazy as usual with its thousands of international travelers scrambling to find the right kiosk or queue or gate number. I love it when my parents take me to the airport. My dad is so obliviously focused solely on checking me in that he regularly bumps into other people. It’s hilarious. I always have the best time in LA, so leaving home isn’t ever easy. No matter how many times I come and go, I still get that tinge of separation anxiety every time I leave.

I lucked out on during my travel, making some good airplane companions. LA to Frankfurt I sat next to a friendly and social Danish man name Kim who desperately missed his wife and 2-year-old baby girl. He makes Denmark seem like it’s full of nice farms and tasty food. And in the Frankfurt Airport, a very savvy looking Indian man sat next to me who turned out to be from California! By that point I was feeling anxious about getting my bearing in Delhi so meeting someone from back home who knows India was serendipitous. From the moment I told him my deal he immediately pulled out his cell and starting writing down contacts of his good friends who could help me get situated and show me around the city. We even happened to be sitting in the same row and next to a sarcastically, self-correcting Canadian woman who was making a Buddhist pilgrimage to Dharamsala. The 7 hours on the plane passed effortlessly.

Because our flight arrived so late in the night and because my pick-up situation was shady, Ro, my Indian-American friend from the flight waited til I got my bags and made sure my ride was waiting. Before we parted ways, he quickly introduced me to the contact he had scribbled for me earlier, Mr. Nasir Kahn, and then I was off.

Usually homesickness hits me like the coming of an ominous monsoon. While I was walking out of the Delhi airport I saw a guy resting himself on his overgrown backpack, reading Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist and I began to feel it – that distinct sensation of traveling alone, not knowing what to expect from this new place, or yourself, and the anticipating of finding out how afraid, how adventurous, and how savvy I’ll be.

I was beyond exhausted, but I couldn’t fall asleep. There was too much busyness in my head. I couldn’t stop thinking that I’m in India. India! Who ever thought I would have an opportunity to live here for nearly a year. So my challenge ahead is I have to make something beautiful from scratch.

The heat here is no joke. A hundred and ten degrees of unrelenting and all-encompassing dense heat accompanied by 100% humidity and the dust and smog from thousands of buses, rickshaws, cars and motorbikes filling every Delhi road.

Delhi is not unlike Vietnam. So although the heat is ridiculous and the roads of terribly congested, it all feels strangely familiar. Swap out the Hindi signs for Vietnamese ones, and sarees for ao dais, and I would have thought I was in Saigon.

By the time I got back to the room, I only had a bit of time to chill out before heading over to USEFI’s office for orientation and to meet the foundation staff. Ms. Varrtikka Mudaliar is my grant advisor and is a wonderfully joyous woman. She briefed me on everything from A to Z. All of my concerns and anxieties concerning the grant and flexibility of the program dissipated after our meeting.

Nasir, Ro's friend met me after my orientation for the first urgent to-do: buy a phone. Nasir is a easy going guy who works for Ro in a international company that provides transnational retail companies all kinds of local support and services for their international distribution. Both Ro and Nasir are two easy-going, genuine and amicable people. Before helping me get a phone, we stopped by India’s Gate, a large arch-shaped monument erected for Indian WWII soldiers who lost their lives in service. But the best part of the detour was walking around during the intense lightning storm that ignited Delhi’s vast, night sky.

After dinner we met with Ro for a bit and I thanked them for all of their hospitality in helping me. I feel so lucky and thankful. The universe has been generously helpful thus far.

7 comments:

bobspeak said...

I can't say I'm not jealous of your travels, but I'm glad to hear that you've bumped into such helpful people. I'll keep reading, you keep posting, and I'll keep a prayer to keep you safe and sound.

You're in INDIA!!!!!!!!! Live it up over there, I'm know you know how to take advantage of being abroad, so I look forward to the things you'll post.

Margaret said...

Shea, i tried calling you on the 14th but alas alack your phone was already off. i am thinking of you when i ride the train and brush my hair and drink seltzer water. i love and miss you. always with love and admiration, shea.

Unknown said...

Again you are away from home. we miss you Con Gai Ba. When you are away from us, we always remind you about your safety, your health.
I am happy to receive your email, or your phone calls often.
Take pictures what interest you and write down what you learn here.

Cree said...

oh dearest i am so glad you made it! You always have your spirits guiding and helping you along the way.

I love your blog and i feel like i'm walking the streets of delhi with you.

I pray you have many memorable adventures there.

I miss you so much...

jesse said...

yeah lien!! woo hoo! yesss! this is already the bext story of the year (bext is the new best). dude, yeah! wow, so 100% humidity hu? that sounds pretty hard core. what percent was vietnam when we were there? dude this whole blog thing is awesome, i got my india lien blog, my elisa arctic blog, some other ones....dude and you don't even have pictures up yet...its already wonderful! i love that your family and friends are all commenting, like your dad says, take pictures of what interest you! i'm dying to see india through the eyes of lien!

love from pasadena!

i'm moving to santa cruz though, i'lll e-mail you about that.

the adventures of tin tin....i mean lien lien

(did you ever read those comics? they're cool, but whatevs...youre cooler!)

agentdub said...

AMOOOOOREEE!!! Im so glad everything is goin so well, you bravery and persistance are unmatched. Kudos my darling and Im sure Im not alone in hoping to see some pictures very soon. Although your words are very descriptive and vivid, so keep up the good work stay safe and waery, but above all have a super time. I miss you, until the next episode. Give my love to russ, ciao my lovely.

Nhienners said...

Shea, your words are so beautiful and eloquent. I have just started reading your blog today. I´m thinking of you from Spain. I think I will make the trip to India to see you next year. Be safe, eat well and know that I am always thinking of you. I´ll call as soon as I get card back in the States.
Love,
Your shea